I recently had a birthday. I haven’t been excited or fearful of my birthdays in the past; however, I was blue for the whole day of my party (2 days before my birthday) and also on my birthday itself. I told people I was tired, which wasn’t a lie, but that wasn’t the problem either – I was depressed. It could be because I am the oldest of my current writing group, or the fact that people younger than me are complaining about being old, or just that I’m a father now and my priorities have changed.
Last night and this morning I’ve been thinking about life goals. I hate to admit it, but I’m getting old enough to think ‘old people’ thoughts. So I created a series of questions for myself, based loosely on things I heard in a college class – 15 years ago <sob>.
What are you goals for:
• 1 Year
• 3 Years
• 5 Years
• 10 Years
• 20 Years
What do I have to do:
• Today to accomplish my 1 and 3 year goals?
• This week to accomplish my 1 and 3 year goals?
• This month to accomplish my 3 and 5 year goals?
• Within six months to accomplish my 5 and 10 year goals?
• This year to accomplish my goals?
• Within three years to accomplish my goals?
• Within 10 years to accomplish my goals?
I have already started answering these questions myself, and I might share at some point, but I wanted to share the questions with you (in case you are tackling the same problems I am). Feel free to share your thoughts as well.